Abingdon District Darts League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEST OF FIVE

+4
kevin jeacock
Soulman
monkey_tennis
H CANNON
8 posters

Go down

BEST OF FIVE Empty BEST OF FIVE

Post  H CANNON Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 am

AT THE NEXT DARTS MEETING I AM GOING TO PROPOSE A CHANGE IN THE

PLAYING FORMAT OF THE MENS SINGLES IN THE PREMIER & SECTION A

AS IT STANDS NOW WE PLAY THE BEST OF THREE GAMES IN THE SINGLES

I PROPOSE THAT THIS BE MADE THE BEST OF FIVE AS I THINK THIS WOULD

MAKE FOR A BETTER NIGHT OF DARTS

I HAVE SPOKEN TO MY TEAM MATES & THEY ARE FOR IT HAS ANYBODY ELSE

GOT ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS

H CANNON

Back to top Go down

BEST OF FIVE Empty Re: BEST OF FIVE

Post  monkey_tennis Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:12 am

Probably best that this doesn't filter down to Section B/C or else we'd have to start at 6pm!!

monkey_tennis

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulman Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

I totally agree with this idea, I think it would make for a better night all round. Also gives the slow starters (such as myself) more chance to get into the game. Yes, it may be a longer night but we could ensure that the draw is done for 8 o'clock. Most players are in the pub by then, anyway its more drinking time too. Happy players, even happier landlords Laughing

I think the same should apply for the latter stages of the competitions too, including the five and seven team events.

Soulman

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin jeacock Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 am

you can have my vote on the best of five also agree with soulman semi finals and final of the fives and neale trophy should also be best of five

kevin jeacock

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan117 Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:55 am

Soulman - is that the excuse you're using now? lol Razz

Completely agree with Kev and Soulman

Spartan117

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulman Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

OK Spartan just cos you're on form at the moment!! Never mind a "slow starter" I'm a slow finisher at the moment....things can only get better one hopes Wink

Looks like the best of five is getting a firm thumbs up.

Soulman

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey_tennis Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:45 am

I notice that all the replies are from 'stronger' players as the best of five format would suit them down to the ground as it gives less chance of there being an upset. For example if a 'lesser' player were, lets say, to play Les Radford and nick the first leg there would be a bit of belief and a possibility that an upset could be caused, whereas over 5 legs you would expect Les' class to shine through and win at least 3 of the next 4 legs. I agree that it would work in the latter stages of competitions as you would expect the best of the best to be here, however as long as Premier and Section A teams are playing each other it shouldn't be implemented on a league level. I'm all for playing more darts and benefitting landlords however I feel that there are better ways of doing this.

What are these ideas i hear you ask? (cos usually on here people have loads to say but never back it up with any alternatives!)

The night should start earlier (7:30pm - 8pm)

5 best of 3 singles matches

3 best of 3 pairs matches

5 best of 3 singles matches

You may use the same five players in the second batch of singles games or you may change them completely, thus enabling you to use up to 10 players in the singles matches and avoiding the poor 7th and sometimes 8th and 9th men who miss out on the singles and ultimately end up being on last in the pairs!!

This way everybody gets to play more darts, players don't get alienated by not playing in the singles, landlords have people in their pubs longer spending more and the Premier section superstars don't get everything their own way.

As a certain meerkat once said....Simples!

monkey_tennis

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:51 am

Not really my place to push too many suggestions but I've thought of a few ideas.

First of all, you could scrap doubles and play 2 batches of 6 best of 3's which would result in more legs of darts and the better players being beatable. This idea could alienate the weaker players because they may be dropped for both batches of singles whereas they might of been played in the doubles.

Or, you could think about a system like the pool league operate. Best of 5's, however the league system operates on points per leg rather than points per match, so a 3-0 win would give 3 points to one side and 0 to the other, and a 3-2 win would give 3 to one and 2 to the other. This system has its problems in the sense that the same number of legs will not be played each week. For example one week you could lose 18-0 and the next you could lost 18-12 and play a lot more legs.

I agree with the monkey guy about best of 5's benefiting the better player. It could easily lead to the Section A teams losing 9-0 every week and therefore these matches being irrelavant to the section A league.

Just a few ideas

Joe
Admin

https://gkaddl.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan117 Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 am

Some interesting proposals but I think it may come down to why the changes would be made:

To make the evening more enjoyable/play more darts

or

try and make things easier for the so called "lesser" sides/even things up

Spartan117

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm

What do you mean make things easier for lesser players? Best of 5s would make it easier for the better sides would it not.

Joe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan117 Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Joe wrote:What do you mean make things easier for lesser players? Best of 5s would make it easier for the better sides would it not.
Before changes can be made, surely you should know why you're making them. Are we wanting to make it a better night or even things up because that will probably mean 2 very different proposals. Best of 5 would make it a better night but would also advantage the stronger sides.

Effectively, I'm asking Cannon what has prompted this idea (I'm not saying it's bad in any way) and those proposing changes, do they want to see the changes be more geared to "levelling" things up so it's harder for 1 or 2 teams to run away with the league every year.

Spartan117

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Thats fair enough. Well I'm guessing Howard's proposal isn't to even things up because best of 5 would make it more spread.

I guess it will be attempted to be sorted tomorrow at the meeting. Good luck with it all.

Joe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H CANNON Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:36 pm

May i just say that firstly Spartan
that my name is Howard or Mr Cannon not Cannon

The reason i am going to propose this is to make it a better night of darts

H CANNON

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan117 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm

H CANNON wrote:May i just say that firstly Spartan
that my name is Howard or Mr Cannon not Cannon

The reason i am going to propose this is to make it a better night of darts
Apologies, just quoting your username. No offence intended

A better night is good all round

Spartan117

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey_tennis Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 am

My proposal is for a better/longer night of darts. It has absolutely no relevance in relation to even-ing things up for the 'lesser' sides as it is basically the same format just with 4 extra games on the night.

5 singles 3 pairs 5 singles.

Vote 5-3-5!!! as it is more workable and more fair than Mr/Sir/Lord* (delete as applicable) Cannon's suggestion on a league basis. I do agree with Howard's suggestion for the latter stages of knockout comps only.

Join the revolution. 5-3-5!!

monkey_tennis

Back to top Go down

Post  H CANNON Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 am

Monkey - Tennis

Soulman said i think the same should apply for the latter stages of the competitions
including the five & seven team events
All i would like to see is the singles made best of 5 & not 3

Last edited by H CANNON on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

H CANNON

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey_tennis Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 am

I fully support the implementation of the 5 legs in competitions (inc 5's and 7's) and feel this could be trialled next season with the blessing of the committee but would be against it in the league. 5-3-5 is the way forward for the league games, unless anyone is opposed to this?

monkey_tennis

Back to top Go down

Post  findmy012 Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:07 am

you can have my vote on the best of five also agree with soulman semi finals and final of the fives and neale trophy should also be best of five

sales resumes pdf
dog health

findmy012

Back to top Go down

BEST OF FIVE Empty DARTS ABINGDON

Post  whirlwind180 Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 am

joe who do you play for as you seem to have a lot of input on the forum .why

whirlwind180

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content